Much like Lamb Shank (Osso Buco), cross cut lamb neck pieces make AMAZING stew! Full of meat, fat, and bone, this cut is absolutely full of flavor. Sear on all sides before braising or slow cooking with wine, vegetables, and herbs until the meat falls apart. Try this incredible recipe below:
Seasoning for neck
- Olive oil
- 1 t crushed cumin
- 1 t crushed coriander
- 1 T unrefined salt
- 1 t coarsely ground pepper
- 2 pods cardamom or ¼ t ground
- 1 T ground cinnamon
- ¼ t ground cloves
- ¼ C EVOO
- 2 C white wine
- 2 C lamb (or chicken) broth
- 3 T tomato paste
- 2 anchovies (they will disappear!)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 C peeled and large chopped potatoes (about 2 large ones)
- 2 C peeled and large chopped carrots (about 5 large ones)
- 1 C chopped yellow onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely minced (2 T total at least)
- 4 T finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 C raisins (optional)
- 3 T butter, fresh herbs, grated lemon zest
- Rub neck with olive oil, then liberally apply dry rub. Let set for at least 3 hours in fridge or even overnight.
- Brown the neck in the olive oil or butter in your dutch oven.
- Remove and set aside.
- Brown the turnips, carrots and onions in the same pot until shimmery and partially cooked. Add garlic for the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Remove veg and set aside.
- Add neck back into the dutch oven with broth, wine, anchovies, tomato paste, and bay leaf. (Keep veg out for now.)
- Dutch oven–stove top or 325 degree oven for 2-3 hours.
- After the cooking, remove neck and take the meat off the bone. If not strippable, cook for a bit longer before next step.
- Once meat is off the bone (you may need to shred and chop it), add the sautéed vegetables and raisins, then return to cook for 45 min to 1 hour. CLUE: meat must be succulently tender. If not, keep cooking! (Much will depend upon the size and characteristics of your cut.)
- When it is all done, add the butter to the pot and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve up in bowls, garnish with herbs and lemon zest.
Serve with options?
- A dollop of plain yogurt
- A sprinkling of toasted pumpkin seeds
- Nothing—a bowl is super tasty with some crusty bread
- Over Parmesan polenta or with some corn muffins
- A California zinfandel
- Apricot ale
- A spicy bitter greens salad